Sorrento is the gateway to the Amalfi Coast, and it is easy to get there from Rome. The distance is 265 km.There are direct buses to the center of Sorrento from Rome’s Tiburtina bus station, but the fastest option to reach the city is by fast train. There are many trains daily that go to Naples or flights to the city of fantastic pizza, and from there, you can easily catch a bus or train. The fastest connection will take just a bit more than 2 hours, while direct buses take a little under 4 hours.
Taking the bus is the cheapest way to travel from Rome to Sorrento with the prices starting from 19 euros per person. If you are looking for the fastest option, there are over 30 trains from Rome to Sorrento every day. However, you will have to transfer to Naples or Salerno before arriving in Sorrento. The journey will take about 2 hours with the prices starting from 20 euro per person.
- Here’s the list of options on how to get from the Eternal City to Sorrento:
- 1 Train from Rome to Naples
- 1.1 Train from Naples to Sorrento
- 2 Train Rome – Salerno – Sorrento
- 3 Direct Bus
- 4 Car
- 5 Private Transfer
- 6 Flight
- 7 What to See in Sorrento
- 8 Where to Stay
- 8.1 Caruso Suite
- 8.2 Sorrento Stylish Rooms
- 8.3 Sorrento Apartments
- 8.4 Vista Mare
- 8.5 Tasso Suites and Spa
- 9 Where to Eat
- 9.1 Don Alfonso 1890
- 9.2 Marameo Beach
- 9.3 Il Buco
- 9.4 Ristorante Museo Caruso
- 9.5 Restaurant Bagni Delfino
Train from Rome to Naples
Take the Leonardo Express shuttle train to the Termini railway station if you are traveling from the Rome Fiumicino Airport. Then, you can take a train to Naples (Napoli). The same works with Rome Ciampino airport: once you arrive, take a bus or taxi to Termini station and take a train to Naples. Note: there are different types of trains that run between Rome and Naples:
- Eurostar Freccia Rossa (TAV): considered the most convenient option and the most expensive. You will arrive at Naples’ Piazza Garibaldi station in less than two hours. Moreover, the train departs every hour, and usually, it is pretty punctual. The ticket price is about 50 euros.
- Intercity: it takes about two hours to reach Naples by this train with the ticket price starting from 18 euro
- Interregional: the feature of these trains is that they stop at every station, so the journey from Rome to Naples will take about four hours. The ticket price is low, about 10 euro, so this option is perfect for budget tourists.
You can purchase tickets in the station or online on the Italo(Reccomended) orTrenitalia websites. Prices for tickets are much lower if you buy them in advance. Moreover, if you buy high-speed train tickets in advance, there are often special offers available. However, such kind of tickets in non refundable
Train from Naples to Sorrento
Once you arrive at the Naples Stazione Centrale station, you have to follow the sign leading to the Circumvesuviana, the regional railway line located under the central railway station. From there you have to take the train to Sorrento. The journey from Naples to Sorrento will take about an hour. Here’s the Naples-Sorrento train schedule. The ticketprice is 4.50 euros.
Do not forget to validate your ticket before getting to the train
Train Rome – Salerno – Sorrento
The Freccia Rossa TAV trains also go to Salerno. However, most frequently, there are 3 changes on the way from Rome to Sorrento via Salerno:
Even though the is a direct bus from Rome to Sorrento, which is cheap, the option is not the most famous. The reason is that there is only one direct bus per day.Therefore, it is better to take a two-legged train, which is still faster and more frequent. You can buy tickets withFlixBus.
Fix price transfer from the Fiumicino Airport to Rome
If you plan to get from Rome to Sorrento by car, the distance is 265 km. The ride will take around 3.5 hours. The option is convenient, but you have to consider toll roads and parking difficulties since you will visit one of the most touristic Italian spots. However, considering this option, you will save time waiting for trains and buses.
You can rent a car withrentalcars.com. Prices for car rental from Rome Fiumicino airport start from 10 euro per day. Read tips about car rental in Rome.
Of course, you can book a private transfer from Rome to Sorrento. For instance, the average price for a private driver from Fiumicino airport to Sorrento is 350 to 450 euros. For one of the best transfers from Rome to Naples, you can use the service of Sergio&Partners with the best driver and our close Italian friend Sergio.The one-way transfer price is 480 euros.
Even though Rome and Naples are located near each other, it is still possible to travel between these cities by plane. However, do not expect it to save you time over the train. You have to consider transport time and cost to and from two airports. So, it can take between 3 to 4 hours to travel between Rome and Naples by plane. The most popular airlines for this option are Alitalia and Vueling. Prices for round trips start from 100 euros.
This option makes sense if you are already at the Rome airport
What to See in Sorrento
- Visit the Cathedral of Sorrento (Duomo) – centrally located on the Corso Italia. Enjoy beautiful frescoes and an impressive altar with a crucifixion above it.
- Walk to Marina Grande and Marina Piccola for a different perspective on Sorrento. Marina Piccola is the main port of Sorrento, where you can also take a ferry to Capri, Naples, and Amalfi. Marina Grande is the former port of Sorrento, which is nowadays a fishing village with famous seafood restaurants.
- Do shopping! There are many shops of local and international brands,
- Visit the Church and Cloister of Saint Francis (San Francesco) and admire its architecture. The building dates back to the 14th century.
- Visit towns and islands nearby: fabulous Amalfi Coast, Capri, and Positano.
- Half-day trip to Pompeii: the largest and most famous ruins that date back to 79 AD
- Rent a boat: enjoy sunny weather on a boat walk with your friends or relatives.
- Try local lemons and limoncello. Sorrento is famous for its lemons!
- Discover local bazaars: many colorful souvenirs and small shops with handmade products such as soap and bags.
- Visit one of the seafood restaurants.
Where to Stay
Sorrento is full of charming condo hotels, apartments for rent, and bed and breakfasts. It is an excellent idea to stay there for good shopping and explore the cities and towns nearby for a couple of days.
Caruso Suite is a suite that provides accommodations with a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom with a bidet and free toiletries in each unit, and a hairdryer. Moreover, there is a beautiful terrace. You can rent a bicycle at this property.
- The price for 2 people per night starts from 60 euro
Sorrento Stylish Rooms
Sorrento Stylish Rooms is located in the central part of Sorrento. There is a terrace, and all rooms are equipped with a desk and a flat-screen TV.Cycling is among the activities that guests can enjoy near Sorrento Stylish Rooms.
- The price for 2 people per night starts from 50 euro
Sorrento Apartments is set right in the center of Sorrento, 92 m from the sea. There is a modern design, free WiFi, and views of the historic center. Some apartments also have a balcony.
- The price for 2 people per night starts from 70 euro
Vista Mare Bed and Breakfast located near Corso Italia, Museo Correale and Piazza Lauro. There is free WiFi and a fantastic terrace. Moreover, a buffet breakfast is served daily at the property.
- The price for 2 people per night starts from 100 euro
Tasso Suites and Spa
Tasso Suites & Spais located in the heart of Sorrento. It features air-conditioned rooms and apartments with satellite TV. Moreover, it is located nearby the harbor, so you can catch a boat to get to the island of Capri. Positano is a 25-minute drive from the suites.
- The price for 2 people per night starts from 110 euro
Where to Eat
There are many excellent restaurants in Sorrento! It is important to try local seafood dishes and sweets or liquors made of lemons.
Don Alfonso 1890
The Don Alfonso 1890 holds two Michelin Stars. Chef Alfonso Iaccarino took over the restaurant which his grandfather opened. The first star was awarded in 1985, while the second one in 1990. Moreover, the restaurant owns a farm Le Perraciole, that supplies ingredients to the restaurant. Also, there are about 25.000 bottles in the wine cellar of Don Alfonso.
- Address: Via Corso Sant’Agata 11, Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi, Naples, Italy
- Tel.: +39 081 878 0026
Marameo beach is a restaurant and lounge bar with an amazing location right near the sea. There is a traditional cuisine of Mediterranean culture. The restaurant is famous for its high quality of food and service.
- Address: Spiaggia San Francesco, Sorrento
- Tel.: +39 081 878 3381
Il Buco restaurant is located in the heart of Sorrento. There are several menus: “Tasting menu,” “I trust You,” “Land and Territory,” “Sharing,” and “A la carte.” Undoubtedly, this is the place for a unique food experience.
- Address: 2a Rampa Marina Piccola 5, Sorrento
- Tel.: +39 081 878 2354
Ristorante Museo Caruso
Many visitors of the restaurant Museo Caruso describe it as the place with the “best meal in Italy.” It holds a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. There is a traditional menu combined with modern techniques. You can enjoy the Mediterranean and classic Neapolitan dishes like fish, meat, cheeses, and antipasti.
- Address: Via San Antonio 12, Sorrento
- Tel.: +39 081 807 3156
Restaurant Bagni Delfino
Restaurant Bagni Delfinois located across the Marina Grande fishing harbor. There are a fantastic atmosphere and high-quality dishes. You should better book a table in advance.
- Address: Marina Grande, Sorrento
- Tel.: +39 081 878 2038